As first reported on StimulatingBroadband.com, Mr. Walter B. McCormick, CEO of US Telecom, the industry lobby and trade group representing large telephone operating companies will be testifying. We believe US Telecom will use Mr. McCormick's testimony as an avenue to criticize specific aspects of the broadband stimulus regulations, released on July 1 in a Notice of Funds Availability (NOFA).
The Subcommittee on Rural Development, Biotechnology, Specialty Crops, and Foreign Agriculture is chaired by Rep. Mike McIntyre (D-NC), with Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX) Ranking Member. The full Committee is chaired by Rep. Collin C. Peterson (D-MN), with with Rep. Frank D. Lucas (R-OK) the Ranking Member.
Live audio and video feeds are online at: Live Audio House Committee on Agriculture.
As is the case for all full Committees and Subcommittees of Congress, the Subcommittee goes into recess frequently to take votes on the House floor. When in recess, the live video feed shows a test pattern.
Written testimony will eventually be posted on the Committee site at: Witness Opening Statements.
The Chairmen have issued a witness list comprised of 2 federal officials and 5 cable and telco industry representatives:
Thursday, July 9 – 10:00 a.m.
1300 Longworth House Office Building
Subcommittee on Rural Development, Biotechnology, Specialty Crops, and Foreign Agriculture —Public Hearing.
RE: To review rural broadband programs.
- Ms. Cheryl Cook, Deputy Under Secretary for Rural Development, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
- Accompanied by Mr. David Villano, Assistant Administrator, Telecommunications Programs, Rural Utilities Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
- Mr. Mark Seifert, Senior Advisor to the Assistant Secretary, National Telecommunications and Information Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
- Mr. Delbert Wilson, General Manager, Hill Country Telephone Cooperative, on behalf of the National Telecommunications Cooperative Association, Ingram, Texas
- Mr. Walter B. McCormick, Jr., President and CEO, United States Telecom Association, Washington, D.C.
- Mr. Curt Stamp, President, Independent Telephone and Telecommunications Alliance, Washington, D.C.
- Mr. W. Tom Simmons, Senior Vice President of Public Policy, Midcontinent Communications, on behalf of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Mr. G. Edward Evans, Chairman and CEO, Stelera Wireless, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma